Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Major Event...Pee in the Potty!!

The biggest hurdle after getting your child to walk and talk is to get them to potty train. My son was on the right track, using the toilet at daycare before he turned 2. Then, his father moved out. It was also around the time that the little speech he had actually disappeared so I'm not sure if that's when the PDD-NOS starting taking over.

Well, medical professionals say that when a child is on the Autism Spectrum, it takes them longer to potty train than others. What was weird for my son is that he would go in the toilet at pre-school and daycare but never at home.

Yesterday, we were at Wal-Mart and he said the magic words, "Mommy, I have to go potty." Usually, it's "Mommy, I need a diaper." That's how I knew this time was different. I got out of that store as fast as I could and rushed home (we live around the corner). He walked into the house and straight for the bathroom. When I peeked in to ask if he needed help, he said no and closed the door on me. He did this 4 more times throughout the day, each time telling me "I have to go to the potty again."

I am so proud of him. January 5th is definitely a big milestone in his life!

No comments: