Monday, January 12, 2009

Constipation - An ongoing problem for the little guy

Joey has had digestive problems since he was a baby. It started with him having to be on special formula - Enfamil Nutramigen - for his 1st year. He was also on Zantac for most of his 1st two years of life. He had to sleep on his stomach or in an upright position and always had a problem with constipation. As he started on regular food, the constipation improved because he loved fruits and vegetables and it seemed to help keep him going. Then, as he turned 3, he became very selective with what he wanted to eat and his constipation increased. Ever since then, he's been on a prescription for Miralax, taking one dosage a day. If he gets really backed up, I've had to increase it to 3 times per day until he has an explosion. This is not healthy.

I am on a message board for improving autism and a lot of the Moms on there also talk about their childrens' constipation problems and being prescribed Miralax. Some are looking for a more natural way to go. I've heard options such as FiberSure to the old standard of Prune Juice to Gripe Water that can be found at British stores (?) and Sprouts.

I hate to keep Joey on something long term so I've stopped the Miralax and am going with Apples or Apple Juice everyday. He's not going everyday but he is going every 3 days. At this point, I may need to look into a stool softener as well.

This is my poop ramblings for now. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: