Saturday, February 4, 2012

What motivates you?

I've been thinking a lot about what brings us joy when it comes to the field we work in. How many people work in jobs that they despise? Some stay because they make too much money there to replace it somewhere else. Some stay because they have no choice. It's all they can find and there are no other opportunities out there.

Having been in the business/customer service/retail management and even insurance side of life since I became employable, it's difficult to imagine that after earning an M.B.A., I would be doing anything else.

Having gone back to school and earning my M.Ed., I am in a completely different field, now working with kids with Autism. Last year, I transitioned from providing therapy to becoming a Behavior Consultant (now Program Manager). I LOVE my job. Although challenging, it is also very rewarding.

On Wednesday (2/1), I had one of those great days at work. Two out of 3 of my families, 1 new and 1 have been working with for about 8 months, had great news to report, that progress was increasing and target behavior was decreasing. The providers are inventive with their techniques and strategies and truly enjoy working with the kids.

How lucky am I To take part in the process of helping children improve their quality of life?

I urge everyone to find what brings them joy and pursue that for their career.

No comments: