Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Independent Joe on his way to 3rd Grade

August 6, 2013

My sweet boy. I have no words. I broke down earlier as I packed up his new Skylanders Giants backpack with all of his supplies for his 1st day of 3rd grade tomorrow.

I told myself I wouldn't cry. I told Joey I wouldn't cry. I lied to both of us.

There were so many times over the course of the summer that I was just in awe of the little man that my sweet boy is becoming. The things he said, the way he acted, the concern he showed for his friends and family, the confident reader he is becoming, the choices he is started to make for himself (his clothes, activities, etc.)...all of these things show how his personality is changing and how he is growing up.

I don't know why I get misty every year on the first and last days of school. I'm not sure if it is because he is my one and only baby boy, if it's because of the journey we have been on and how far we've come, or if it's because every year, he needs me just a little bit less.

I mean, let's face it...every mom goes through a constant identity crisis for 18 years. We become somebody's sole supporter the day we give birth, and as the years go by, we struggle back and forth with wanting to be needed and fighting to get our independence back, hoping we aren't need sped so much, even just for one day.

I love how far Independent Joe has come. But now matter how old he gets or fast he grows out of my arms, I will always long for the days when he would say, "Do you need some snuggle time? Because I'm available."

No comments: