Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Brackets, spacers, and bumpers...oh my!

Brackets, spacers, and bumpers...oh my! I thought Joey was too young for all this ortho stuff. What do I know? I never had braces. When I was relieved that we wouldn't be paying the $2,980 up front, I said, "I thought I was going to have to give a kidney," Joey says, "I don't want to see them take your kidney, Mama. He is so literal.

Anyway...this journey started a few months back when his dentist, and then the neighboring Orthodontist agreed Joey needed 5 teeth pulled; 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom. I got a 2nd opinion from Dr.O. and he said we'd watch it. So we went back for our follow up after a morning at Melmed (see later post) and they introduced us to the apparently well known "Phase One Treatment.

I had the Ortho explain it to Joey and he said he would need my help brushing "really good" (after I said he would have to brush his brackets really good). This all started last weekend when I walked him through the proper way to brush and swish with Plax.

I have to wonder...can't this kid catch a break. My poor little man.

No comments: