Friday, March 19, 2010

Why both parenting roles are important

I was given a book by a friend when I was going through my divorce called "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. It is a book about a man discovering himself. One chapter resonated with me and it was the chapter about being raised by his Mom only. It focused on why both parenting roles are important and how every boy growing up needs a male figure if it is not his Father.

It was from then that I vowed to myself and to my son that he would have a relationship with his Dad no matter what and that I would do everything to foster that relationship.

Lately, I have been feeling a disconnect between Joey and his Dad, partly because it is Spring Training and his Dad is getting ready to leave for 5 months. Then, yesterday, I was at group OT with Joey and he was having a hard time with relaxing with all the kids around him. Then, they played catch. He was the best one there. He threw straight and threw strong to an 8 year old boy. He was so happy he did so well and I could tell he was starting to feel confident and started to relax.

It dawned me that this would not have been possible without his Dad, who showed him how to throw a ball at a very young age. Even though his Dad isn't around sometimes, his instruction, guidance and love can still be present.

No comments: